Wildlife Officer Shoots Himself To Death – Police


Police in Sehithwa are investigating a suspected suicide case in which a 52-year-old Chief Wildlife Ranger under the Department of Wildlife and National Parks allegedly shot himself to death at the Sehithwa wildlife offices last week Friday.

According to Sehithwa Police Station Commander Superintendent Nshaki Mabophiwa, they received a report about the incident from the deceased’s colleague on Friday morning.

He said the deceased is alleged to have been at work with his colleagues at around 8 am but he later left and went to the other office. Mabophiwa said a few minutes later the colleagues heard a gunshot from where the deceased had gone and when they rushed to the office they discvoverd that he had shot himself with a .375 service rifle.

The deceased who originates from Kalkfontein in Ghanzi district was then taken to Sehithwa clinic where he was confirmed dead. Mabophiwa said that the body is now awaiting post mortem at Letsholathebe II Memorial Hospital.

According to the station commander, the colleague who reported the matter indicated that the deceased did not show any signs of distress that morning before committing suicide.

In another incident, a 77year old farmer of Thololamoro cattle post is reported to have accidentally shot himself on the left arm while he was looking for his cattle around the area.

The incident is reported to have occurred this past Tuesday at around 7am and was reported to the police by the farmer’s 29-year-old son on the same morning.

Mabophiwa explained that the farmer was walking in bushes looking for his cattle when a tree branch on his way which he tried to move to the side using his 12 gauge which accidentally pulled the trigger, and shot himself.

“The farmer is said to have turned the shot gun making it face him and tried to remove the tree branch with the back of his gun, unfortunately it got stuck on the branch which then pulled the trigger and shot him on his left arm just by the armpit,” the station commander stated.

He is said to have then driven himself back to Sehithwa clinic and immediately referred to Letsholathebe II Memorial Hospital where he is still hospitalised.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:



More like this

Gov’t Rubbishes EWB’s Elephant Population Report

Elephants Without Borders report says elephant numbers are no...

Turbulence Provides An Opportunity For Innovation, Transformation – Shamukuni

Leaders have been urged to view turbulence as an...

Transfers Of New Plots Overwhelm Maun Sub Landboard

People selling newly allocated plots at alarming rates...

Private Abattoirs Accused Of Aiding Stock Theft

While cases of stock theft are skyrocketing across the...
Verified by MonsterInsights