- District Commissioner yet to confirm the dates
- 146 Ovaherero have reportedly renounced their Botswana citizenship
- Committee, gov’t officials recently met with the Namibian Governor
- Governor assured their readiness to receive the group
- Facilities and services reportedly ready for the group
The first group of Ovaherero, Ovambanderu and Nama people living in Botswana is expected to leave for Namibia mid next month, the Repatriation Committee Chairperson Justice Muinjo has revealed.
This is however yet to to confirmed by Ngamiland District Commissioner, Thabang Waloka who could not be reached at the time of going to print. Waloka leads the district government repatriation committee.
Muinjo is certain about the repatriation date, and has indicated that registration of their properties is ongoing in different areas around Okavango and North West District. According to him, a total of 146 people comprising of 64 school going children, are ready to go back to Namibia and have already renounced their Botswana citizenship.
He indicated that all the necessary paper work is being done and awaiting registration of their movable and non-movable goods. He indicated that the 146 people come from Shakawe, Habu, Chukumuchu, Makakung, Semboyo, Bothatogo, Tsau, Maun and Ghanzi.
Last week the repatriation committee met with the Namibian Governor of Otjozondjupa region, James Uerikua in Tsau village, were they had a joint deliberation and update with Botswana government officials on the process of the first group of Baherero and Ovambanderu people who had since shown interest to relocate to Namibia.
Muinjo noted that they had a fruitful meeting which comprised of representatives from various ministries including those of land, home affairs, agriculture as well as traditional leaders, among others. Assistant District Commissioner Ramogaupi Gaborekwe was also in attendance.
“Governor of Otjozondjupa region indicated that the Namibian government is ready to receive the first group provided all the necessary processes have been carried out. He assured that systems have been put in place since April 2023 and they are expecting us to arrive earlier than July 27 if we fail to meet up the July 15 date,” said Muinjo.
According to him, they have been assured of facilities and services – which include a 21-hectare of land with water connection and electricity that had been secured to accommodate them. Muinjo said the Governor advised that there is a need for them to relocate as soon as possible before the facilities is exposed to vandalism.
An official from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, Kabelo Morapelo could also not confirm the reports only to state that there still more to be finalised before it can be shared with the media or public.
“I deal with issues that regard to citizenship therefore we are done with that part and some other department will still have to complete some of the processes before anything can be shared with the public or media,” he said.