This Content Is Only For Subscribers
The Maun Magistrate’s Court has this week granted bail to 40-year-old pastor of Seventh Day Adventist church, Marvin Radihephi of Francistown who has been charged for the murder of a 48-year-old Warricious Bundu (her names)Zimbabwean woman.
According to Maun Police Acting Station Commander, Assistant Superintendent Kgakgamatso Koboyatshwene, the deceased was found lying motionless on the floor of her house at Sanyedi Ward on 24 December 2022.
The deceased was reportedly discovered by her friend who then informed neighbours and the matter was reported to the police. The deceased was then rushed to Letsholathebe II Memorial Hospital where she was confirmed dead.
Koboyatshwene revealed that police later arrested Radihephi as a key suspect after investigations revealed that he was seen by the deceased’s house on the day of the incident.
The accused person who is represented by prominent Maun based lawyer, Charles Tlagae was on Tuesday granted bail after the state did not oppose his bail application.
He was granted bail on condition that he does not commit a similar offence while on bail, does not interfere with state witnesses and that he also report to Francistown Police every month end. The accused person was also ordered to bring two sureties and P2000. The accused person will appear again on the 24th January 2023 for status update.
Before the same court a case management conference for an 80-year-old Lephane pensioner who is facing two counts of raping his step daughter was once again postponed to the 24 January 2023. This followed after his attorney, Charles Tlagae was not present in court during his (accused) appearance on Tuesday this week.
The old man who was initially found guilty on his own plea for raping his 12-year-old step daughter in 2020 had previously told court that he will engage an attorney for the other two similar counts of raping the same minor.
The case management conference was previously postponed to give the accused person some time to sort his legal representation issue after he failed to bring his attorney alleging that there was a miscommunication.
This week, the Octogenarian told court that he has finally secured the said lawyer and the case was subsequently postponed to the 24th of this month where the attorney is expected to be present.
The accused, who initially pleaded guilty to all the three counts of rape committed between 2019 and 2020, changed his plea for the other two counts committed in 2019 arguing that the complainant had consented to the act. “I was sleeping in my room and the complainant came into my house and offered sexual intercourse. If you are offered food to eat, would you reject it?” he asked.