Double Murder Accused Further Remanded


Double murder accused person, Nelson Dibebe who is charged for the murder of his 60-year-old mother in-law and his 7-year-old son has been further remanded in custody while the prosecution awaits documents to commit the case to the high court.

He is alleged to have murdered Merafe Sianga-60, and his seven year Andile Camm at the old woman’s residence in Maun on the 13th February this year. Dibebe allegedly butchered the deceased persons with an axe while they were asleep on that fateful day at around 0200hours.

The ordeal reportedly happened amid ongoing marital problems he was having with his 28-year-old wife who by then was hiding for safety.

Appearing before Maun Magistrate Gaone Bagopi recently, the accused person suggested his comments be reserved for his next mention when the matter will be before Chief Magistrate Thebeetsile Mulalu who is the one presiding the case. The accused person will appear for his next mention on the 11th of October for status update.

Dibebe was previously denied bail after the Investigating Officer (IO) of the case, Keotshwaretse Molatlhegi told the court that they feared that if released on bail the accused person would possibly go on to kill his wife Shirley Dibebe.

This, as the investigation believes the accused was on the hunt to murder when he allegedly murdered the two, who are believed to have been collateral damage in the matter. According to Molatlhegi they fear that if granted bail, Dibebe is likely to abscond looking at the seriousness of the offence he committed.

“One of the people he killed is an innocent minor, he is likely to face the hangman if found guilty and that is enough reason for him to abscond. He tried to use the child to get to his mother and when it failed he killed him in full view of other witnesses,” added Molatlhegi.

Molatlhegi further revealed that both Dibebe’s and his wife’s family have written a letter to Maun police Station Commander pleading that he be denied bail as they are still failing to come to terms with what he did. 

When previously asked if he had anything to say, Dibebe preferred to remain quiet- only signaling a thumbs-up to the court. The families’ letters to the police were presented before court as evidence.  The accused has been in custody since the horrific attack and his bail application was rejected by the state on the 12th of March 2022.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:



More like this

Okavango Chairman Survives Motion Of No Confidence

Motion called for his removal for failure in delivery 10...

Khama Loses Bid To Have Arms Charges Dropped

High Court Judge Nyamadzabo agree with DPP that Khama...

Masisi Wants Botswana Rewarded For Conservation

Believes campaigns and outlawing hunting trophies will have...

Accused Tenant Killers Granted Bail

Three men accused for the murder of one Baboloki...
Verified by MonsterInsights