A 46 year old Botswana Defense Force soldier was reportedly killed by an electric shock in Pandamatenga on Saturday afternoon.
According to Pandamatenga Police Station Assistant Superintendent Ntoko Simane, the deceased was electrified by a power pole at the Pandamatenga BDF Camp while attempting to attend to an electric fault following a supply breakdown.
The soldier from Central Ward in Natale Village who is stationed in Donga was on a work trip at Pandamatenga when the unfortunate incident took place.
Simane revealed that they received a report at around 1840hrs and police officers immediately rushed to the scene. Simane said the deceased was then rushed to Kasane Primary Hospital where the doctors unfortunately confirmed that he had already passed away.
The Assistant Superintendent revealed that the incident was the 2nd one to occur in his policing area as they received another one last year when another person also died after an electric shock.
Simane has since advised the public to always engage relevant people when they experience any electric default to avoid such similar incidents. He added that even the power officers should ensure that the safety precautions are taken to avoid the mistakes taking place.
“We highly urge the public to inform the Botswana Power Cooperation officers should they have any breakdown or power cut, or at least call police officers to assist by informing the right people to quickly go and assist in such incidents,” Simane pleaded.